PRINCIPLES IN PERFORMANCE
An introduction to Gyre and Gimble’s basic principles of puppetry
- Learn to imbue objects and puppets with thought, emotion and physicality.
- Explore found objects and materials, progressing through simply constructed puppets to a more realised human form.
- Experiment with the puppeteer’s relationship to the puppet.
WORKING AS ONE
An exploration of puppets with multiple operators
- Work as a group to create and maintain characterisation within a single puppet.
- Expand your awareness in performance using structured play and improvisation.
- Experiment with your puppet’s interaction alongside another puppet or human.
DEVISING & STORYTELLING
An introduction to Gyre & Gimble’s rehearsal process
- Create narratives that demand the use of puppetry from a range of stimuli.
- Discover a puppet’s most effective forms of communication.
- Develop your critical eye through performance analysis and peer feedback.
DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION
An exploration of the puppet making process from sketchbook page to stage
- Discover how the specific requirements of a production influence a puppet’s structure and aesthetic.
- Design and create a prototype puppet to explore your ideas in three dimensional form.
- Evolve and refine your puppet in response to its use in performance.